The hubs is out for the week, which means I have some “me” time. This is also my favorite time to cook, strangely. For one, I can eat the food that I like and the hubs hates. I can also experiment with new recipes and dishes without the hubs turning up his nose at the result and saying it the look of a particular dish doesn’t match his “mental image” of what it would like! I mean, honestly, have you heard of a stranger excuse for not trying new dishes?
One of the dishes I made was a dish I love – and the hubs, of course, doesn’t – an express prawn paella.
This recipe uses a non-traditional method – the pressure cooker – to come up with a meal in a jiffy. It may not be as elaborate as other, more traditional paella recipes, but the result is yummy! So, without further ado, here’s how you make…
Express Prawn Paella
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1 large tomato, skinned and diced
1 cup rice
250 gm shrimp, peeled and devenined – I use the frozen variety
3 cups chicken broth
¼ tsp saffron
¼ tsp ground cumin
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1) Thaw prawns; squeeze some lime juice on them, mix, set aside
2) In a pressure cooker, sauté the onion and bell pepper until the onion is tender.
3) Add the tomato and cook for 5 mins.
4) Add the rice and sauté until translucent.
5) Pour in the broth, shrimp, saffron, cumin, pepper and salt. Squeeze juice of half a lemon. Stir.
6) Close the pressure cooker, bring to high pressure on medium heat, and cook for another 3 mins.
7) Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with lemon wedges and serve!
Tip: Make sure you actually squeeze some lemon over the rice – it really brings out the flavor and tastes.
Soul food: Prawn rice
Linking up with Foodie Wednesday at Daily Organized Chaos.